Apply for a studentship 2017
Applications for the South, West and Wales Doctoral Training Partnership for 2017/18 entry will open in November 2016
The SWW DTP will be awarding up to 56 doctoral studentships in the Arts and Humanities for entry in September 2017. The awards will be made on the basis of academic merit, with no fixed quota assigned to any one institution or subject area within the DTP.
SWW DTP Studentship Competition
Please note that it is expected that any potential applicant will:
- Have a record of excellent preparation and evidence of exceptional promise for PhD study
- Have a compelling project that will benefit from the expertise we can offer in and across a range of subjects and from our rich archival resources and network of professional partners
- Have attained at least a first degree at 2:2 or higher (or international equivalent), and have achieved or be working towards a postgraduate qualification.
We also encourage applications from those with non-traditional qualifications/routes who:
- Achieved at least a first degree of 2.2 or higher (or international equivalent) and are not presently working towards a postgraduate qualification, but who can demonstrate equivalent experience and aptitude for research in their field.
- Have a first degree at less than 2.2 or higher (or international equivalent) but can demonstrate high achievement at postgraduate level.
Please note that a student who has already commenced doctoral study may apply for funding for the remainder of their study, providing that, at the start of the DTP award, they will have at least 50% of their period of study remaining. This means that a student would be able to apply for a studentship that starts in year 2 of their PhD, but wouldn’t be able to apply for funding to support only the third year.
By making an application to the SWW DTP you are applying for a studentship only. You will still need to make a separate application to your choice of home institution for your place. You do not need to wait for the outcome of your SWW DTP application before applying to your home institution, but can complete the application processes concurrently. If awarded a studentship, you must ensure that you have a confirmed place at your choice of home institution by the start of the award.