- This event has passed.
Creating effective and engaging podcasts
25th November 2019 @ 9:30 am - 4:30 pm
Podcasting is one of the fastest-growing means of communication for universities, be it a recorded series of lectures or a snapshot of your research. There is no doubt podcasts are one of the most accessible “windows” through which to view your work, and your podcasts should reflect the quality of your research.
It is the communication skills of the podcaster, and his or her ability to tell a good story, that makes a podcast effective and attractive to a wide variety of audiences. We help you to pitch your podcast correctly to the target audience, to organise your thoughts and consider the best ways to present them. We will give you the skills to present the podcast in a talk format, and the interviewing skills to make an interview/conversation style podcast.
All participants will have the opportunity to practise both formats, an audio/video straight talk and an on-camera interview.
The workshop does not offer training in technical skills (recording and editing a podcast) because facilities differ from university to university, but the trainers supply the participants with a list of useful ‘how to’ links.
The course enables participants:
• to communicate effectively in their podcasts
• to pitch their podcasts correctly to the intended audience
• to choose the best format for their podcast
The Learning Outcomes
• To understand the challenges of attracting online audiences
• to be able to pitch a podcast correctly to the intended audience, including non-specialist ones
• to know how to tell a good story in a podcast
• to know how to plan, structure and present a podcast
• to know how to interview colleagues for a podcast
• to be able to record a podcast in both straight talk and interview formats