Training strand B: How to get Published with DTP Alumnus, Dr Ghee Bowman
December 9 @ 9:30 am - 5:00 pm
Writing. It’s what a Humanities PhD is – ultimately – all about. In this workshop we’ll talk about publishers and publishing, and you will practise writing a book proposal. The workshop will be practical, participatory and fun.
Your trainer is Dr Ghee Bowman, who completed his SWWDTP-funded PhD at Exeter in September 2019. In May 2020 he published a book entitled ‘The Indian Contingent: The Forgotten Muslim Soldiers of Dunkirk’. Ghee is an experienced trainer and group facilitator.
- to develop awareness of how publishers work
- to build skills in making a book proposal
- to have fun
Closed group of up to 30 SWWDTP students
All year groups to be invited, with the thought that students in their 3rd or 4th years more likely to take it up
- warm up activity – freewriting
- explain your thesis to an intelligent 12 year old – individual and small group work
- writing a book proposal
- input practise discussion
- persona marketing
- who is your book aimed at?
- working with a publisher