There are two separate routes through which you can apply for a SWW DTP2 doctoral studentship. You can apply for both Award types in the same round, but separate applications are necessary, given the different nature of each Award type.

Student-Led Awards
We invite high-quality applications from prospective students who wish to propose their own research project. The SWW-DTP normally requires students to have two supervisors from two separate institutions within the consortium, unless the necessary expertise can only be found in a single institution; such circumstances are exceptional. Your preferred supervisors must have agreed to supervise your project and you will have to apply both to the SWW DTP2 and to the institution where your lead supervisor is based. You should work closely with your preferred supervisors when framing your application. Their advice will help optimise your submission.

Collaborative Doctoral Awards.
Collaborative Doctoral Awards (CDAs) are doctoral studentship projects which are developed by consortium academics working in collaboration with an organisation outside of higher education. The supervisory team is pre-determined and consists of two consortium academics and a member of the partner organisation.
CDAs embed the opportunity to gain first-hand experience of work outside the university environment and enhance the employment-related skills and training which a student may gain during the course of their award.
Eight CDA awards are available for entry in September 2022.

What does a Doctoral Studentship include?
Tuition fees paid at the level of a UK home student.
Full maintenance stipend. This applies to all students, whether home and international.
A comprehensive training programme specific to SWW DTP2 students that is in addition to training opportunities provided by the home institution.
Funding to support additional skills-acquisition and placements with non-HEIs that will enhance the student’s research and experience to enhance employability.
CDA students receive an additional £550 per annum to offset costs incurred by the need to work at the non-HEI partner site.

International Applicants
Non-UK nationals are eligible to apply for both Student-Led and Collaborative Doctoral Awards.
The level of tuition fee paid for international students is the same as that for UK home students.
Each consortium member determines how it manages the difference between its home and international student fees. Please check the relevant funding pages of your chosen home institution for its policy on how it manages this difference. Most consortium members waive the difference.

Equality, Diversity and Inclusion amongst our Applicants
SWW DTP2 continues to actively increase the diversity of students to whom awards are offered. We therefore encourage applications from individuals who respond to any of the nine protected characteristics defined in the Equality Act 2010. We aim to make at least 5 awards to applicants of the Global Majority, and an additional 3 awards to applicants with disabilities. These are targets to encourage applications, not set quotas; only applications that meet our stringent quality expectations will be offered awards. We operate in line with all relevant legislation governing positive action and do not make positive discrimination.

Mature Applicants
Students of any age are invited to apply, including mature students and those who have taken a break from academic study since their Master’s degree. We also consider applications from mature students with relevant professional experience or knowledge who do not hold an MA.

Applicants with Caring Responsibilities
We welcome applications from individuals with caring responsibilities. Indeed, many of our students have such responsibilities. Supervisors and the SWW DTP Hub team try to offer as much flexibility as possible. Doctoral work is often intrinsically more flexible than taught courses.

Prior Work Experience
Prior work experience in your chosen area of interest is not essential. To be eligible for either type of SWW DTP studentship, you should normally have, or be studying for, a Master’s degree or similar postgraduate qualification. If you do not already have experience of formal postgraduate study, you would be eligible only if you can demonstrate evidence of sustained experience beyond your undergraduate degree that is directly relevant to your proposed research topic and/or methodology that could be considered equivalent to Master’s study.

© 2022 South, West & Wales Doctoral Training Partnership

Privacy Policy