We fund students from the UK or EU with evidence of exceptional promise for PhD study. Our students will have a compelling project that benefits from the expertise we can offer in and across a range of subjects and from our rich archival resources and network of professional partners.

Residence requirements

For purposes of residence requirements, the UK includes the United Kingdom and Islands (i.e. the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man).

There are residence requirements for research council funding for postgraduate research. These are based on the Education (Fees and Awards) (England) Regulations 2007 and subsequent amendments. Normally to be eligible for a full award a student must have no restrictions on how long they can stay in the UK and have been ordinarily resident in the UK for at least 3 years prior to the start of the studentship (with some further constraint regarding residence for education). For further information regarding residence requirements, please see the regulations. These include further information, for example about refugees, migrant workers, residence for education and EEA nationals.

Students from EU countries other than the UK are generally eligible for a fees-only award. To be eligible for a fees-only award, a student must be ordinarily resident in a member state of the EU; in the same way as UK students must be ordinarily resident in the UK.

Note: These eligibility criteria are based on the Education (Fees and Awards) (England) Regulations 2007 and subsequent amendments.

The SWW DTP2 consortium may provide EU students awarded a studentship for September 2020 entry with a maintenance stipend to the level of that offered by the AHRC to UK students.


Academic Eligibility

To be eligible to apply for a doctoral studentship you should normally have, or be studying for, a Master’s degree or similar postgraduate qualification. You should also have met all the course requirements of your home institution before the start date of the SWW DTP2 studentship. If you do not have experience of formal postgraduate study, you would be eligible to apply for a studentship only if you can demonstrate evidence of sustained experience beyond your undergraduate degree that is specifically relevant to your proposed research topic and that could be considered equivalent to Master’s study.


Other eligibility criteria

SWW DTP2 studentships are open to full-time and part-time applicants. Students in full-time employment during their PhD are not eligible for a studentship. A student in part-time employment during their PhD may be eligible for a part-time award; part-time effort should not be less than 50% of full-time. Students who have already commenced doctoral study are eligible to apply for AHRC funding, provided that, at the start of the AHRC award, they will have at least 50% of their period of study remaining (excluding the ‘writing up’ period).

© 2020 South, West & Wales Doctoral Training Partnership

Privacy Policy